Course Code: CPD101
Duration: 300 hours, 6 months
The Paralegal Online Training Program will prepare you for success in this growing career field. You’ll learn about the American legal system, how to conduct legal research and legal interviews, how to perform legal analyses, and more. Your training will prepare you to become a legal secretary or paralegal and to take the certification exam.
Paralegals are involved in sophisticated legal work in traditional law office settings and in the corporate, government, and public arenas. Obtaining a quality education is the best way to prepare for the paralegal profession. This self-paced, Web-based program will get you ready for an entry-level paralegal position, and it'll prepare you to take the certification exam. You'll be paired with an instructor for one-on-one assistance, and you'll also receive free access to NALA Campus and Westlaw!
Your tuition includes free access to the seven preparatory exam courses offered at NALA Campus. Regardless of whether or not you're eligible for certification or plan to take the exam, the NALA Campus preparatory courses are a value-added addition to your paralegal education.
Paralegal students are also provided with free access to Westlaw to complete their assigned research projects. Westlaw is an online legal research service that provides fast and easy access to an extensive collection of legal resources, news, business, and public records information. Access to the number-one rated online legal resource, Westlaw, will benefit you tremendously as you perform your legal research assignments during your paralegal education.
After completing this program, you’ll:
- Understand the common responsibilities and duties of paralegals
- Know how the paralegal field is regulated
- Understand ethics for attorneys and paralegals
- Be familiar with how the American legal system is structured and how it operates
- Be able to perform legal analyses
- Conduct legal interviews
- Understand the duties of a litigation assistant in the four stages of litigation
- Conduct legal research
- Implement guidelines and proper etiquette for legal writing
- Understand methods of formal and informal administrative advocacy
- Paralegal in the Legal System
- Paralegal Employment
- On-the-Job Realities
- Regulation of Paralegals
- Attorney and Paralegal Ethics
- Introduction to the Legal System
- Introduction to Legal Analysis
- Legal Interviewing
- Investigation in a Law Office
- Litigation Assistantship
- Legal Research 101
- Advanced Legal Research
- Legal Writing
- Introduction to the Use of Computers
- Introduction to Law Office Administration
- Tort Law, Product Liability, and Consumer Law
- Contracts, Insurance, and Property Law
- Estates and Family Law
- Laws Affecting Business
- Criminal Law and Procedures
- Introduction to Paralegalism: Perspectives, Problems and Skills, by William P. Statsky
- Paralegal Today: Legal Team at Work, by Roger Miller
This program is compatible with the Windows XP and later operating systems and IE 7 and later browsers and can be taken from either a Mac or a PC.
Upon registering, you will receive an initial six months to complete the program. Should you need more time, you may request a six month extension at no additional charge. Students using VA benefits should refer to the Military page of our site to review the differences between online program access and VA rates of pursuit.