Payroll Practice and Management
Course Code: CPD001
Duration: 80 hours,
Excelsior College has partnered with the American Payroll Association (APA) to bring you the Payroll Practice and Management program. Excelsior College offers this two course program that will prepare you for the APA’s two professional certification designation exams, the Fundamental Payroll Certification (FPC) and the Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) Certification. The program is designed to increase your knowledge of payroll compliance from a basic understanding to an advanced level and prepare you to sit for the national exams. (Students are required to register for the program which consists of both courses.)
PayTrain Fundamentals teaches the fundamental payroll calculations and applications necessary for individuals who are new to the payroll industry, those who support the payroll industry, and those who are preparing for the FPC or CPP certification examinations. This part of the program will provide you with the basic knowledge and skills required to maintain payroll compliance and prevent costly penalties.
PayTrain Mastery is a continuation of PayTrain Fundamentals and provides students with an in-depth understanding of the advanced payroll topics necessary for payroll managers and supervisors. This part of the program is ideal for experienced payroll professionals seeking compliance training, professional development, or CPP certification preparation. Together, the two parts of the program offer the knowledge and skills necessary to sit for the FPC and CPP exams.
Upon successful completion of the Payroll Practice and Management program, you’ll:
- Learn the basic and advanced skills for those in or about to begin work in the payroll industry.
- Be prepared to sit for the Fundamentals of Payroll Certification (FPC) and Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) examination.
- Module 1: Payroll Concepts: Introduction to payroll, Employee/Independent Contractor; Fair Labor Standards; Employment Forms
- Module 2: Payroll Calculations: Calculation of Over time Premium; Calculation of Gross Pay; Calculation of Federal Income Tax; Calculation of Social Security and Medicare Taxes; Calculation of AEIC; Calculation of Voluntary Deductions; Calculation of Involuntary Deductions; Calculations of Net Pay
- Module 3: Fringe Benefits: Fringe Benefits Rules; Nontaxable Benefits; Cafeteria Plans, Retirement Plans
- Module 4: Payroll Reporting and Employment Taxes: Tax Deposit Requirements; Quarterly Returns, Annual Returns;
- Module 5: Record Keeping and Payroll Practices: Systems; Penalties
- Module 6: Payroll Accounting: Accounting Terminology, Account Classification; Journal Entries; Reconciliations; Internal Control
- Module 7: Administration: Customer Service; Time Management; Communication
Click HERE for a detailed outline of lessons
- Windows XP/Vista/7 operating system
- Word processing program (e.g., Microsoft Word) and Adobe Acrobat Reader
Internet access (high-speed connection recommended)