Course Code: CPD195
Duration: 40 hours,
Excelsior College has partnered with the American Payroll Association (APA) to bring you the Payroll Fundamentals program. Excelsior College offers this two course program that will prepare you for the APA professional certification designation exam, the Fundamental Payroll Certification (FPC). The program is designed to increase your knowledge of payroll compliance at a basic understanding and prepare you to sit for the national exam.
PayTrain Fundamentals teaches the fundamental payroll calculations and applications necessary for individuals who are new to the payroll industry, those who support the payroll industry, and those who are preparing for the FPC or CPP certification examinations. This part of the program will provide you with the basic knowledge and skills required to maintain payroll compliance and prevent costly penalties.
Upon successful completion of the Payroll Fundamentals program, you’ll:
- Learn the basic and advanced skills for those in or about to begin work in the payroll industry.
- Be prepared to sit for the Fundamentals of Payroll Certification (FPC) examination.
- Module 1: Payroll Concepts: Introduction to payroll, Employee/Independent Contractor; Fair Labor Standards; Employment Forms
- Module 2: Payroll Calculations: Calculation of Over time Premium; Calculation of Gross Pay; Calculation of Federal Income Tax; Calculation of Social Security and Medicare Taxes; Calculation of AEIC; Calculation of Voluntary Deductions; Calculation of Involuntary Deductions; Calculations of Net Pay
- Module 3: Fringe Benefits: Fringe Benefits Rules; Nontaxable Benefits; Cafeteria Plans, Retirement Plans
- Module 4: Payroll Reporting and Employment Taxes: Tax Deposit Requirements; Quarterly Returns, Annual Returns;
- Module 5: Record Keeping and Payroll Practices: Systems; Penalties
- Module 6: Payroll Accounting: Accounting Terminology, Account Classification; Journal Entries; Reconciliations; Internal Control
- Module 7: Administration: Customer Service; Time Management; Communication
|Fundamental Payroll Certification (FPC)||Spring 2015||Fall 2015|
|Credential for payroll beginners and service and support professionals.||March 28 – April 25, 2015||To Be Announced|
|Materials to use for preparation||Fundamentals of Payroll 2014||
Fundamentals of Payroll 2015
(to be released Mid March)
The FPC and CPP certification exams are administered at Pearson VUE testing sites worldwide.
- Mac or Windows XP/Vista/7/8 operating system
- Word processing program (e.g., Microsoft Word) and Adobe Acrobat Reader
Internet access (high-speed connection recommended)