The Multimedia Arts Professional Certificate program gets you started with a visual design, motion theory, software, and Web scripting foundation and builds your comfort in shooting and editing video. At the end of the program, you will have developed a portfolio of highly engaging and interactive multimedia pieces.
Course topics in the Professional Certificate program include training in Adobe Premiere Pro and Adobe After Effects alongside motion theory, digital video editing, digital video production, and motion graphics. Advanced Certificate students can apply these skills to additional projects in animation and digital media concentrations such as Flash Design and Game Art.
The goal of the Multimedia Arts program is to equip you with fundamental technical and conceptual skills to develop multimedia. In the program, you will develop the technical, creative/visual, and communications skills for entry-level professional work.
- Digital Imaging
- Your work will demonstrate entry-level professional Photoshop skills and effective decisions in selecting and editing images. You will be able to improve images for professional publication by retouching and correction, and create realistic or imaginative images by compositing or collage.
- Motion Theory
- You will be able to apply basic physical properties of motion to sequential art, animation, and video. Your work will exhibit attention to the 12 traditional principles of animation in order to believably communicate motion.
- Web Scripting
- You will be able to create standards-compliant Web page layouts by hand-coding using HTML and CSS and publish them to the Web. You can create fixed and fluid multi-column page layouts using basic HTML to organize information and CSS to control presentation.
- You will be able to research and select appropriate typefaces and design typography to support the branding or communication goal of a particular client or project. You will demonstrate the ability to organize text into a clear, readable information hierarchy in page layouts while using display type for impact and expression.
- Video Production
- You will develop a good understanding of digital video production and how to plan, shoot, and digitize video footage, prepare it for editing, and output it for a variety of uses. Your shooting and editing will show a basic command of visual and auditory storytelling.
- Video Editing
- You will develop a proficiency in entry-level professional digital video editing techniques using a non-linear editing program. Your shooting and editing work shows the ability to create an effective, well-paced short narrative sequence and a control of rhythm, motion, and continuity.
- Motion Graphics
- You will be able to create simple, effective, and polished motion graphic work in After Effects. Your work will integrate text, graphics, video, and audio and show a command of layers, motion control, keyframing, time effects, and animation techniques.
- Photoshop Basics
- Intro to Motion
- HTML and CSS Essentials
- Fundamentals of Typography
- Digital Video Production
- Digital Video Editing I
- After Effects I
This program consists of seven required modules. Module descriptions are as follows:
- Adobe Photoshop is the premiere image manipulation tool for print design, Web design, and photography. It’s a must-know if you’re planning to work with photos or design projects at any level.
- This six-lesson course starts you off with the basics of the Photoshop interface and quickly gets you working on hands-on projects based on real-world design scenarios. You’ll learn to choose and use the best techniques for common Photoshop jobs including selecting and isolating objects, creating image composites, masking and vignetting images, setting typography, and improving images with retouching and effects.
- You can learn to tame this creative powerhouse of a program. Working with course developer Andrew Shalat’s stunning images and your own photos, you’ll discover how to create sophisticated graphics with surprisingly simple techniques and an efficient imaging workflow. Master the technical fundamentals to unleash your creativity as an artist or designer.
Intro to Motion
- All art is communication, and Intro to Motion explores how to apply the science of movement to the creation of sophisticated, convincing motion art. Students will analyze fundamental concepts of physics, and learn how different varieties of motion art rely on these concepts to wow viewers. They’ll learn how motion is recreated using sequential art, video, 2D animation, and 3D animation, and students examine the 12 essential principles of animation including squash and stretch, anticipation, and exaggeration. In addition to analysis of video and animation, students will create their own stop-motion or flipbook-style animation as well as a “flour sack” animation representing the animation principles.
HTML and CSS Essentials
- Learn to create Web sites using HTML to mark up the structure of the document, and CSS to dictate how each page element should look. Use HTML5 and CSS3 for cutting-edge enhancements. Course lessons are packed with hands-on examples that help you gain skills and confidence step-by-step. The course is designed to provide a foundation in Web standards, the set of “best practices” established by the World Wide Web Consortium, among other organizations that set the standards for Web development.
Fundamentals of Typography
- Typography is what sets designers apart from other artists. In visual communication, typography must be integrated (every last loop, bowl, and descender) into a total design.
- In this 3-lesson course, you’ll explore the anatomy of the letterform. Through interactive lectures and hands-on exercises, you’ll learn how to classify typefaces and use them creatively.
- Understanding the fundamentals of typography will give your work power, eloquence, and beauty.
Digital Video Production
- Learn how to control white balance, aperture, and shutter speed to get high-quality images from your digital video camera. You’ll explore the different types of shots and camera motion techniques used by the pros. You’ll also learn how to do location scouting; plan props, wardrobe, and sets; and work with talent. Course lectures challenge you to think about different storytelling conventions in narrative and documentary movie-making and address the fundamentals of sound recording. You’ll script and storyboard short movie sequences and develop an understanding of the various roles in the video post-production process.
Digital Video Editing I
- Learn the art and craft of editing videos from two award-winning filmmakers. The course explores techniques that can be applied in a range of non-linear editing programs, including Adobe Premiere Pro. Yet the main focus is not just on developing software skills; it’s on exploring the magic behind video editing. Challenging projects including editing a commercial, an interview, a narrative scene, a music video, a video diary, and a text title sequence.
After Effects I
- Adobe After Effects is a powerful application used to create motion graphics and visual effects for film and video. Learn how to employ After Effects to design sophisticated motion graphics by designing text and object animations, compositing videos and images, and adding audio and effects. You’ll learn how to set keyframes on a timeline and work with transform properties, motion paths, masks, and effects, developing a solid foundation in this increasingly popular and versatile program.
- A Windows-based or Macintosh computer that meets manufacturers’ requirements for required software in the program.
- Broadband access to the Internet
- Adobe Photoshop CS6 or CC
- Adobe After Effects CS6 or CC
- Adobe Premiere Pro (recommended) or other non-linear editor (such as Final Cut Express)
- A digital video camera and ability to connect it to a computer to capture footage
- Program concentrations and course substitutions may involve additional requirements.
*SOFTWARE IS NOT INCLUDED IN THE COST OF THIS PROGRAM.*
*Upon registering, you’re given an initial 24 weeks to complete this program. Should you need more time beyond the 24 weeks, extensions of $25 per month are available.