Course Code: CPD169
Duration: 360 hours hours, 6 months
Prior to registering for a program, we ask that you review the Sessions College Handbook
to ensure that you are able to abide by all the policies and schedules.
The goal of the Graphic Design Certificate program is to prepare you for a professional career as a graphic designer. In the program, you will develop the technical, creative/visual, and communications skills for entry-level professional work. You will also begin to develop a portfolio of individual creative work you can present to potential employers.
Graphic Design Professional Certificate students learn the software programs that every pro needs to know: Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign. You will learn how to produce digital images, illustrations, and layouts, addressing foundational design theory topics such as color, typography, and composition. Class assignments involve hands-on photo editing, logo design, poster design, magazine covers and layouts, and many other important practices.
Listed below are the Graphic Design Certificate standards you are expected to meet as a student in the program.
- Digital Imaging
- Your work will demonstrate entry-level professional Photoshop skills and effective decisions in selecting and editing images. You will be able to improve images for professional publication by retouching and correction, and create realistic or imaginative images by compositing or collage.
- You will develop distinctive color palettes based on the principles of color harmony. Your work will exhibit a sophisticated use of color and contrast, the ability to research colors and make choices that are appropriate for each client and project.
- Vector Art
- You will develop entry-level professional skills in creating vector art illustrations in Illustrator, using shape drawing and freehand drawing tools, Pen tool, type tools, and basic effects. You will be able to create simple, stylized logos, icons, and illustrations for effective visual communication.
- You will be able to research and select appropriate typefaces and design typography to support the branding or communication goal of a particular client or project. You will demonstrate the ability to organize text into a clear, readable information hierarchy in page layouts while using display type for impact and expression.
- You will be able to create engaging and readable layout designs that blend text and imagery using fundamental design and composition techniques. You can create a professional-quality poster, print ad, or cover design that attracts the eye and guides the viewer through your layout.
- Page Layout
- You will be able to create consistent, engaging, and readable layouts in InDesign for multi-page documents using master pages to control the style and positioning of text and graphics. Your page layout work will demonstrate proficiency in designing information for print publications such as newsletters and brochures.
- Design History
- You will have a basic ability to identify and discuss important eras, designers, genres, and techniques in 20th and 21st century graphic design. You will be able to apply the concepts of important designers and design movements in your own work and develop an effective workflow of research, conceptualization, and design.
- Graphic Design
- Your work will exhibit professional competence in various print design genres including poster design, logo/branding design, magazine layouts, cover design, and packaging. Your design work will show evidence of in-depth research in order to produce a striking, memorable, and creative solution.
4218 Photoshop Basics
4017 Color Theory
4226 Illustrator Basics
4221 Fundamentals of Typography
4020 Design and Composition
4228 InDesign Basics
4019 The Study of Graphic Design
(or 4211 Fundamentals of Logo Design)
4013 Graphic Design I
This program consists of eight required modules. For a full description of each program module please click on this link.
- A Windows-based or Macintosh computer that meets manufacturers’ requirements for required software in the program.
- Access to the Internet
- Adobe Photoshop CS6 or CC*
- Adobe Illustrator CS6 or CC*
- Adobe InDesign CS6 or CC*
- Program Concentrations may involve additional requirements.
* SOFTWARE IS NOT INCLUDED IN THE COST OF THE PROGRAM. With Adobe, you will be eligible for the student discount on software. You can sign up for an Adobe Creative Cloud Student Membership, which is only $19.99/month. This membership will give you access to all the Adobe CC programs as desktop applications. In addition, you will be able to have access to new features and updates as soon as they are available, mobile apps, and even a portfolio website! If you are not ready to start your membership just yet, you can also sign up for a free 30-day trial version.
*Upon registering, you’re given an initial 24 weeks to complete this program. Should you need more time beyond the 24 weeks, extensions of $25 per month are available.
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR(S)
Outlines are subject to change.
Questions? Please email email@example.com or call 888-647-2388 ext. 11-8211