Course Code: CPD175
Duration: 360 hours, 6 months*
Prior to registering for a program, we ask that you review the Sessions College Handbook
to ensure that you are able to abide by all the policies and schedules.
The Fine Arts programs provide you with a foundation in art theory and technique all in the flexible environment of an online art school. You will gain experience that can complement an art or design career or simply enrich an appreciation of fine art. The Fine Arts Certificate program lays a foundation in drawing, digital photography, and painting with a variety of exciting art courses.
Course topics in the Certificate program include pencil and charcoal drawing, color and mixed media drawing, figure drawing, digital SLR photography techniques, eras and themes in art history, paint color mixing, and still life oil painting. In the Advanced Certificate, you can add concentrations to your program that increase the depth and breadth of your visual arts studies.
The goal of the Fine Arts Certificate program is to build a foundation of fine arts skills in traditional media. In the program, you will develop technical, creative/visual, and communications skills in the fine arts. You will also begin to develop a portfolio of individual creative work.
- Visual Arts
- You will be able to discuss and creatively explore the fundamental visual elements of art and the composition and visual communication techniques used by artists.
- Basic Drawing
- You will be able to create basic line drawings using pencil and paper following the principles of perspective and proportion. You will be able to identify and draw positive and negative space in a drawing subject.
- History of Art
- You can identify and discuss the different ways that artists have approached the themes of nature, the human body, realism, religion, and power and protest throughout the ages.
- Intermediate Drawing
- You will develop drawing skills that show the ability to analyze a subject, represent realistic form and perspective, manipulate value and color, and reflect contemporary stylistic approaches. Your work will be informed by subject, lighting, color, and media choices.
- Digital Photography
- You will develop a basic ability to handle different kinds of photo shoots including portraits, product shots, indoor and outdoor settings, and fast-action photos. Your photography will show the ability to manipulate framing, perspective, distance, and lighting to get professional results.
- Figure Drawing
- You will be able to represent through figure drawing the characteristic shapes and proportions of the human face and body in frontal, profile, and three-quarter views. Your work will show a basic ability to represent three-dimensional form, composition, and expression.
- You will demonstrate a basic grasp of traditional painting techniques that enables you to capture proportion, perspective, and lighting in the world around you. Your still life paintings will exhibit different painting techniques and conceptual approaches.
4803 Intro to Visual Arts
4018 Intro to Drawing
4800 History of Art
4501 Drawing I
4211 Digital Photography I
4502 Figure Drawing
4700 Painting I
This program consists of seven required modules. For a full description of each program module please click on this link.
- A Windows-based or Macintosh computer that meets manufacturers’ requirements for required software in the program.
- Access to the Internet
- Basic drawing and painting supplies including pencils, sketch paper, paint, and brushes. Each drawing and painting course will provide specifics and a discount code for art supply site utrecht.com.
- A digital camera, adjustable ISO and adjustable white balance features recommended
- A digital imaging application such as Adobe Photoshop
- Program Concentrations may involve additional requirements.
* SOFTWARE IS NOT INCLUDED IN THE COST OF THE PROGRAM. *
*Upon registering, you’re given an initial 24 weeks to complete this program. Should you need more time beyond the 24 weeks, extensions of $25 per month are available.
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR(S)
Outlines are subject to change.
Questions? Please email email@example.com or call 888-647-2388 ext. 11-8211