The Fine Arts programs provide you with a foundation in art theory and technique all in the flexible environment of an online art school. You will gain experience that can complement an art or design career or simply enrich an appreciation of fine art. The Fine Arts Certificate program lays a foundation in drawing, digital photography, and painting with a variety of exciting art courses.
Course topics in the Certificate program include pencil and charcoal drawing, color and mixed media drawing, figure drawing, digital SLR photography techniques, eras and themes in art history, paint color mixing, and still life oil painting. In the Advanced Certificate, you can add concentrations to your program that increase the depth and breadth of your visual arts studies.
The goal of the Fine Arts Certificate program is to build a foundation of fine arts skills in traditional media. In the program, you will develop technical, creative/visual, and communications skills in the fine arts. You will also begin to develop a portfolio of individual creative work.
- Visual Arts
- You will be able to discuss and creatively explore the fundamental visual elements of art and the composition and visual communication techniques used by artists.
- Basic Drawing
- You will be able to create basic line drawings using pencil and paper following the principles of perspective and proportion. You will be able to identify and draw positive and negative space in a drawing subject.
- History of Art
- You can identify and discuss the different ways that artists have approached the themes of nature, the human body, realism, religion, and power and protest throughout the ages.
- Intermediate Drawing
- You will develop drawing skills that show the ability to analyze a subject, represent realistic form and perspective, manipulate value and color, and reflect contemporary stylistic approaches. Your work will be informed by subject, lighting, color, and media choices.
- Digital Photography
- You will develop a basic ability to handle different kinds of photo shoots including portraits, product shots, indoor and outdoor settings, and fast-action photos. Your photography will show the ability to manipulate framing, perspective, distance, and lighting to get professional results.
- Figure Drawing
- You will be able to represent through figure drawing the characteristic shapes and proportions of the human face and body in frontal, profile, and three-quarter views. Your work will show a basic ability to represent three-dimensional form, composition, and expression.
- You will demonstrate a basic grasp of traditional painting techniques that enables you to capture proportion, perspective, and lighting in the world around you. Your still life paintings will exhibit different painting techniques and conceptual approaches.
- Intro to Visual Arts
- Intro to Drawing
- History of Art
- Drawing I
- Digital Photography I
- Figure Drawing
- Painting I
This program consists of seven required modules. Module descriptions are as follows:
Intro to Visual Arts
- What makes a painting work? What inspires a sculptor to create? The visual arts are influenced by many factors, including the language of art and visual communication, historical and social forces, and the evolution of new modes of expression.
- In this 3-lesson course, you’ll develop an understanding of the visual arts by exploring your own artistic creativity. You’ll explore paintings, sculptures, experimental pieces, and more, learning to critique their composition and decode their social or political purpose. You’ll be introduced to the elements that make up a visual message and build a vocabulary of fundamental terms and compositional techniques.
- Different media in art are explored, ranging from traditional media like portraiture to unconventional means of artistic expression such as game art and contemporary dance. In each exercise, you’ll analyze art themes and create your own art pieces that demonstrate your grasp of the themes in the medium of your choice.
- Talented contemporary artist Carolina Caycedo will guide you through essential visual arts theory, art samples, video clips, with the primary frame of reference defined by interviews and features of Latin American artists Raimond Chaves, Gilda Mantilla, and Federico Guzmán, as well as the author’s own work. You’ll also receive personalized feedback on your art analyses and hands-on work.
Intro to Drawing
- Think drawing is a gift that has to come naturally? You might be surprised to see learn that drawing is a skill that can be developed with practice.
- This 3-lesson course provides a thorough and engaging introduction to drawing. Students learn how to draw with proper techniques, learning how to represent what they see through studies in contour drawing, perspective, positive/negative space, and value. By the end of the course, students will capture a complex still life.
- Drawing gives you a deeper understanding of any subject you are trying to capture as an artist or designer. As you progress through the exercises in this class, you will develop a better understanding of the forms you are observing and become more skillful in representing those forms.
History of Art
- In this 6-lesson course, you’ll build a foundation in art history and gain a deep understanding of art and the artists who create it. Studying with emerging artist Carolina Caycedo, you’ll explore profound themes that have concerned artists for centuries: nature, the human body, society, religion, and politics.
- Through engaging lectures and projects, you’ll learn how to identify the mediums, materials, and techniques artists use and discuss the styles of important artists, art movements, and historical periods from antiquity through the mid-20th century.
- The course focuses on developing skill in the critical analysis of art. Written assignments, quizzes, discussions, exams, video tutorials, and even museum visits and art-making will help you understand and remember important concepts as you learn.
- This course is important for any student with a serious passion for the fine arts or design. You’ll gain insight and inspiration as you produce your own art and design work or simply observe the creative world around you.
- Typography is what sets designers apart from other artists. In visual communication, typography must be integrated (every last loop, bowl, and descender) into a total design.
- In this 3-lesson course, you’ll explore the anatomy of the letterform. Through interactive lectures and hands-on exercises, you’ll learn how to classify typefaces and use them creatively.
- Understanding the fundamentals of typography will give your work power, eloquence, and beauty.
- Digital photography is a key skill for any digital designer today. Whether you’re a fine artist, graphic designer, or Web developer, a mastery of digital photography gives you creative control of the medium.
- If you’ve outgrown the basic features of your digital camera, and you’re looking to take professional-quality photos, zoom in on Digital Photography I.
- In this hands-on course, you’ll discover how photography techniques and environmental factors interact to create powerful digital images. You’ll learn the fundamentals of lighting, perspective, and set up and explore techniques for classic assignments: portraits, product shots, indoor and outdoor location shoots, and fast-action sports.
- In each exercise, you’ll submit shots from your assignment and get a critique from a professional photographer.
- Life drawing is a fundamental artistic challenge. Capturing the human figure in all its infinite, intricate variations requires both a mastery of technique and a thorough understanding of the body.
- In this 6-lesson course, you will make your figure drawings come to life with guidance from a professional fine artist. Following traditional methods, you’ll learn the standard measures and proportions artists use to achieve naturalistic and expressive figure drawings. Illustrations and activities will guide you through the structure of the human skeleton and help you understand how the body’s anatomy shapes its external form. The course builds progressively from the fundamentals to the challenges of portraiture, three-dimensional form, composition, and expression.
- Course projects afford multiple opportunities for practice and feedback, focusing on proportion, negative space, gesture drawing, anatomical studies, contour drawing, frontal and profile portraits, volume, perspective, shading, composition, and expression. Fine artists, designers, and 3D character animators will all benefit from these artistic workouts.
- For centuries, artists have used paint to represent the physical world. Paint was the medium of choice for masters like Van Gogh and Monet. Now you too can learn how to paint—online.
- In this course, you’ll learn a traditional approach to oil painting or acrylic painting. After a thorough orientation to the painter’s materials (paint, canvas, brushes, and solvents), you will study a systematic and time-honored approach to painting that enables you to capture proportion, perspective, and lighting in the world around you.
- Each lesson guides you systematically through a disciplined approach to creating art. You’ll learn how to build a foundation with preparatory sketches and underpainting, and find out how to mix your paints correctly. You’ll gain control over value through monochromatic painting and color studies. As you paint a series of still lifes, you’ll explore different painting techniques and conceptual approaches.
- Never thought you could paint? With the guidance and encouragement of fine artist Jordon Schranz, you’ll surprise yourself by creating a series of paintings you can be proud of. Get a professional’s perspective on painting materials and techniques, and enhance your skills.
- A Windows-based or Macintosh computer that meets manufacturers’ requirements for required software in the program.
- Access to the Internet
- Basic drawing and painting supplies including pencils, sketch paper, paint, and brushes. Each drawing and painting course will provide specifics and a discount code for art supply site utrecht.com.
- A digital camera, adjustable ISO and adjustable white balance features recommended
- A digital imaging application such as Adobe Photoshop
- Program Concentrations may involve additional requirements.
* SOFTWARE IS NOT INCLUDED IN THE COST OF THE PROGRAM. *
*Upon registering, you’re given an initial 24 weeks to complete this program. Should you need more time beyond the 24 weeks, extensions of $25 per month are available.