Digital Photography Studio
Taking professional digital photographs is an important skill for any digital artist or designer today. In this three-module Intensive program Digital Photography Studio, you'll cover the fundamentals of lighting, perspective, and set up, and learn how to approach typical photo shoot assignments ranging from portraits and product shots, to indoor and outdoor locations, and more. You'll also delve into image correction, retouching, compositing, and printing of photographs and explore how the pros use Adobe Lightroom to manage their photography workflow.
The program consists of three courses: Digital Photography I, Digital Photography II, and Digital Photography using Lightroom. You'll build a foundation in how to shoot and edit digital images and manage your images efficiently and effectively in Photoshop and Lightroom.
- Upon successful completion of the Digital Photography Studio program, you’ll know how to:
- Develop an understanding of how a digital camera records light.
- Proof images with histograms, use white balance effectively, and choose ISO settings.
- Take photographs using different perspectives, white balances, and ISO settings.
- Develop an understanding of techniques for portrait photography, including lighting setups, head shots, environmental portraits, and interaction with the subject.
- Develop an understanding of how prepare and shoot product photographs in different lighting and environmental conditions.
- Develop an understanding of techniques for shooting interior and exterior photographs of buildings.
- Develop an understanding of techniques for action and sports photography.
- Develop an understanding of how to plan and conduct a professional photo shoot.
- Apply the concepts of aperture control, f-stops, and exposure.
- Apply concepts of camera angle, point of interest, rule of thirds, focus, and editing approach.
- Take candid and still life photographs demonstrating skill in using camera angle, point of interest, rule of thirds, focus, and editing approach.
- Conduct a basic travel shoot and take photographs that tell a story through a sequence of photos.
- Assess and apply basic photo retouching and color correction techniques.
- Use Camera Raw and high dynamic range techniques to enhance images and subjects.
- Use filters, image merging, and image stacking to extend the possibilities of digital photographs.
- Adjust monitor color calibration and judge the major differences between home and commercial photo printing quality.
- Create a digital photography workflow using Lightroom.
- Apply each of the five Lightroom modules to a single photograph or too many photographs simultaneously.
- Import images from a photo shoot to the library and export to different file formats.
- Catalog and find images using metadata, keywords, ratings, and other properties.
- Adjust basic qualities of a photograph including white balance, brightness, and contrast.
- Evaluate and adjust a photograph using a histogram.
- Apply localized image adjustments including spot retouching, cropping, and graded corrections.
- Make detailed corrections to toning, color, sharpening, noise and chromatic aberration, and vignettes.
- Use black and white, corrections, and vignetting as creative devices.
- Create PDF slideshows and Web galleries using Lightroom templates and custom layout features.
- Print single images, custom contact sheets, and picture packages.
- Digital Photography I
- Beyond the Basics
- Photographing People
- Product Photography
- Interiors and Exteriors
- Action and Sports Photography
- The Photo Shoot from Start to Finish
- Digital Photography II
- Master Your Camera
- Composition and Artistry
- Shooting on Location
- Into the Digital Darkroom
- Extending Your Digital Darkroom
- Creating Quality Prints
- Digital Photography with Lightroom
- Introduction to Lightroom
- Digital Asset Management
- Develop Module Basics
- Develop Module Advanced
- The Slideshow and Web Modules
- The Print Module
The program is delivered entirely online. Students have 24/7 access to the school learning environment. No textbooks are required for the program. The program is built around award-winning online curriculum developed by Sessions College for Professional Design faculty.
All coursework and materials required to complete each course are provided in an online learning environment, including orientation materials, lectures, exercises, critique and discussion forums, videos, multimedia tools, and an online library.
This program can be taken on PC or Mac. A high-speed Internet connection is recommended. Students will need a basic familiarity with computers and must be comfortable navigating the internet. Here is a summary of requirements:
- Computer with Internet connection (56 Kbps modem or faster).
- Digital camera with at least a 3 megapixel rating, zoom, and manual settings. RAW shooting capability recommended.
- Access to an inkjet printer and outside print services (local or online).
- Adobe Photoshop.
- Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 or 5.
- An account with an ad-free Web hosting service (free services are available). An ad-free Web space allows students to upload assignments without interference from forced ads like popups or banners.
*SOFTWARE IS NOT INCLUDED IN THE COST OF THIS PROGRAM.*