Course Code: CPD171
Duration: 360 hours, 6 months*
FOR VA STUDENTS: Students utilizing VA educational benefits for this course may be put on a wait list until a seat becomes available, per the requirements of the DVA 85/15 Rule. If you have any questions on this policy you may refer to our Military page or contact us directly.
Prior to registering for a program, we ask that you review the Sessions College Handbook
to ensure that you are able to abide by all the policies and schedules.
The online Digital Arts Certificate programs help you build creativity and technique in traditional drawing and digital illustration. Digital imaging software, color theory, traditional drawing, and digital illustration techniques are all explored at the Professional Certificate level. When you complete a Digital Arts online college certificate program, you will have a portfolio of creative work.
The Professional Certificate program features basic and advanced training in Adobe Illustrator that addresses Illustrator's learning curve and helps you create sophisticated vector graphics and vector drawings. Students also take traditional drawing classes and digital illustration classes that refine their illustration skills in a range of styles and media. Advanced Certificate students take these skills a step further with concentrations in digital photography, fine arts, or other visual arts disciplines.
The goal of the Digital Arts Certificate program is to develop your fundamental technical and creative skills in drawing, composition, and digital illustration. In the program, you will build the technical, creative/visual/expressive and critical foundation that is required of entry-level professional work and beyond.
- Digital Imaging
- Your work will demonstrate entry-level professional Photoshop skills and effective decisions in selecting and editing images. You will be able to improve images for professional publication by retouching and correction, and create realistic or imaginative images by compositing or collage.
- You will develop distinctive color palettes based on the principles of color harmony. Your work will exhibit a sophisticated use of color and contrast, the ability to research colors and make choices that are appropriate for each client and project
- Vector Art
- You will develop entry-level professional skills in creating vector art illustrations in Illustrator, using shape drawing and freehand drawing/tracing tools, Pen tool, type tools, and basic effects. You will be able to create simple, stylized logos, icons, and illustrations for effective visual communication.
- Basic Drawing
- You will be able to create basic line drawings using pencil and paper following the principles of perspective and proportion. You will be able to identify and draw positive and negative space in a drawing subject.
- Advanced Vector Art
- You will develop an expanded range of skills in Illustrator for creating photo-realistic illustrations, complex patterns, and richly illustrated designs. You will be able to use color sampling, meshes, blends, masks, 3D tools, and tiles to create both realistic and stylized artwork.
- Intermediate Drawing
- You will develop drawing skills that show the ability to analyze a subject, represent realistic form and perspective, manipulate value and color, and reflect contemporary stylistic approaches. Your work will be informed by subject, lighting, color, and media choices.
- Vector Illustration
- You will be able to create straightforward, clear, balanced, and stylized icons, sequential illustrations, logos, and editorial illustrations using Illustrator’s shape tools, freehand drawing tools, and classic illustration techniques. Your work will show an ability to communicate complex graphic and editorial concepts in digital form.
4218 Photoshop Basics
4017 Color Theory
4226 Illustrator Basics
4018 Intro To Drawing
(Or 4220 Digital Illustration Basics)
4227 Illustrator Advanced
4501 Drawing I
4227 Digital Illustration Advanced
This program consists of seven required modules. For a full description of each program module please click on this link.
- Operating System: PC (Windows XP/Vista/7) or Mac (OS X or later)
- Internet connection (high-speed recommended) and email capabilities
- Adobe Photoshop CS6 or CC and Adobe Illustrator CS6 or CC
- Digital camera for photographing drawing work
- Basic drawing supplies including pencils and sketch paper. The Intro to Drawing and Drawing I courses within this program will provide specifics and a discount code for an online art supply site.
- Program Concentrations may involve additional requirements.
*SOFTWARE IS NOT INCLUDED IN THE COST OF THIS PROGRAM.*
*Upon registering, you’re given an initial 24 weeks to complete this program. Should you need more time beyond the 24 weeks, extensions of $25 per month are available. Students using VA benefits should refer to the Military page of our site to review the differences between online program access and VA rates of pursuit.
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR(S)
Outlines are subject to change.
Questions? Please email email@example.com or call 888-647-2388 ext. 11-8211